Tax Tip 2024-30: Taxpayers: Remember, an extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes

Bookmark and Share Banner
IRS Tax Tips April 9, 2024

Useful Links:

Help For Hurricane Victims

News Essentials

What’s Hot

News Releases

IRS – The Basics

IRS Guidance

Media Contacts

Facts & Figures

Around The Nation

e-News Subscriptions

The Newsroom Topics

Multimedia Center

Noticias en Español

Radio PSAs

Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts

The Tax Gap

Fact Sheets

IRS Tax Tips

Armed Forces

Latest News

IRS Resources

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Filing Your Taxes

Forms & Instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Where to File

IRS Social Media


Issue Number: Tax Tip 2024-30

Taxpayers: Remember, an extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes

Taxpayers who can’t file by the deadline of April 15, 2024, should request an extension before that deadline. Remember, however, that an extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes. If they owe taxes, they should pay them before the due date to avoid potential penalties and interest on the amount owed.

Taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts have until April 17, 2024, to file their returns due to the Patriots’ Day holiday in those states.

Taxpayers who request a six-month extension to file their taxes have until Oct.15, 2024, to file their 2024 federal income tax return.

Requesting an extension when making a payment for a return with taxes due
Taxpayers can choose to submit an electronic payment and select Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File, or extension, as the payment type. The IRS will process it as an extension automatically, and taxpayers won’t need to file Form 4868.

Requesting a free extension to file for a return with no tax due
Individual taxpayers, regardless of income, can request an automatic six-month tax-filing extension two ways:

  • Use IRS Free File at
  • File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File.

Taxpayers in FEMA disaster areas may have an automatic extension to file and pay
The IRS may offer an automatic extension to areas designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Taxpayers in the affected areas don’t need to file any extension paperwork, and they don’t need to call the IRS to qualify for the extended time.

To check whether an area has been offered tax relief, see Tax Relief in Disaster Situations.

U.S. citizens, resident aliens abroad and military members in combat zones may have more time to file and pay
Taxpayers living overseas, including members of the military and eligible support personnel serving in combat zones, may also have extra time to file their tax returns and pay any taxes due.

More information
What Is the Due Date of My Federal Tax Return or Am I Eligible to Request an Extension?

Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips

Back to top


FaceBook Logo  YouTube Logo  Instagram Logo  Twitter Logo  LinkedIn Logo

Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit

This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.


This email was sent to by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) · Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington, D.C. 20535 GovDelivery logo

Leave a Reply