Tax Tip 2024-53: Summer activities that could affect people’s tax returns next year

Bookmark and Share Banner
IRS Tax Tips May 29, 2024

Useful Links:

Help For Hurricane Victims

News Essentials

What’s Hot

News Releases

IRS – The Basics

IRS Guidance

Media Contacts

Facts & Figures

Around The Nation

e-News Subscriptions

The Newsroom Topics

Multimedia Center

Noticias en Español

Radio PSAs

Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts

The Tax Gap

Fact Sheets

IRS Tax Tips

Armed Forces

Latest News

IRS Resources

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Filing Your Taxes

Forms & Instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Where to File

IRS Social Media


Issue Number:  Tax Tip 2024-53

Summer activities that could affect people’s tax returns next year

While summer is a time for fun, it’s never the wrong time to thinking about taxes – and some of those summer activities could have an impact. Here are a few summertime activities and tips on how taxpayers should consider them for filing season.

Wedding season is upon us, and newlyweds can make their tax filing easier by taking two simple steps now:

  • First, report any name change to the Social Security Administration.
  • Next, notify the United States Postal Service, employers and the IRS of any address change. To officially change their mailing address with the IRS, taxpayers must compete and submit Form 8822, Change of Address. See page 2 of the form for detailed instructions.

Summer camp
If a taxpayer is sending a child to summer camp, the cost may count toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit.

Business travel
Kids may have the summer off, but parents generally don’t – and business travel happens year-round. Tax deductions are available for certain people who travel away from their home or main place of work for business reasons. Whether a business traveler is away for a few nights or all summer long, it’s important for them to remember the tax rules related to business travel.

Part-time work
While summertime and part-time workers may not earn enough to owe federal income tax, they should file a tax return to get any refund they may be owed. Part-time and seasonal workers can visit to learn more about 
who should file a tax return.

Some taxpayers earn summer income with a side hustle or doing gig work. They can visit the Gig Economy Tax Center at to learn how participating in the gig economy can affect their taxes. If taxpayers are paid through payment apps for goods and services during the year, they may receive an IRS Form 1099-K for those transactions. For more information, go to

Home improvements
The IRS has information to help taxpayers take advantage of potential tax benefits for home improvements. If taxpayers make qualified energy efficient improvements to their home after Jan. 1, 2023, they may qualify for a tax credit up to $3,200. They can claim the credit for improvements made through 2032.

These types of improvements include Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credits for things like water heaters, exterior windows and doors and heating and air conditioning installations. Residential Clean Energy Credits are available for taxpayers who install solar water heaters, fuel cells and battery storage or solar, wind and geothermal power generation. Taxpayers can visit the Home Energy Tax Credits page on to learn more.

More Information
How to claim these credits can be found in these step-by-step guides:



Back to top


FaceBook Logo  YouTube Logo  Instagram Logo  Twitter Logo  LinkedIn Logo

Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit

This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.


This email was sent to by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) · Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington, D.C. 20535 GovDelivery logo

Leave a Reply